Saturday 11 October 2014

Muy Linda: MJ Lindo


I have been following MJ Lindo on instagram for almost a year now and it did not take long to fall completely in love with her portraits. Her medium is paint, which she uses to create very whimsically beautiful portraits of women. These portraits are extremely detailed facially, which is a nice contrast to my previous Gaks inspired minimalist portrait. Her highlighting and shadow techniques evoke such emotion and in my opinion is a major part of what makes her work so special. Her work can appear very personal, and vulnerable. She is very smart and aware in her use of colour which is a major struggle for me. If I could, I would do all my artwork in black and white. What really caught my attention however, is her use of a wooden canvas. It creates such an interesting background, painted or left untouched. She also uses the wooden texture and lines as the hair texture for her women, which I believe to be extremely creative. It would be interesting to see if I could successfully translate her painting techniques into a digital illustration, using Adobe Illustrator and not Photoshop which effortlessly mimics the look of paint.

All images belong to MJ Lindo

-S.R























3 comments:

  1. I love what I see. I would definitely would be watching to see what you do to imitate her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really intriguing artist! She's using paint - my favourite medium. It will be interesting to see how you depict yourself using this style!

    ReplyDelete