Friday 24 October 2014

Coming Soon: Mixed Media ft The Sketch Paper Project

Working with mixed media is something I rarely do as a graphic artist. Typically all my work is done digitally and whoooshh off to the printers. I'm particularly interested in the different textures mixed media introduces. It can bring a different flare to a piece of artwork.

Chantal is an artist from The Sketch Paper Project who deals with hand drawn portraits using pencils. She focuses on celebrity figures and has, thus far, done solely black and white pieces. Her variety is in the persons she draws, whereas mine is in the styles I use to recreate one selfie photo.

Allison Hinds
Image belongs to The Sketch Paper Blog

We have teamed up to create a mixed media piece: both digital and hand drawn combined, for a result that neither one could do without the other.

We both continue to strive to build on our skill set and this collaboration is a testimony to that. As seen in previous posts, I have only done self-portraits, which I have grown comfortable in producing. For this piece, however, I have chosen to do a celebrity, Khloe Kardashian, sticking to a female portrait but not my own. Also, I have continued my experimental style trend by using Hayden Williams as inspiration for this piece. Mr. Williams uses fashion sketches to depict several different celebrities and their outfits. He is more focused on the garment rather than the celebrities themselves. The style is very quick and almost abstract. Lines are loosely drawn and filled in. Its about quickly putting ideas to paper and then cleaning up in the end.

All images belong to Hayden Williams



-S.R

1 comment: