Thursday 16 October 2014

Colourful Shadows?

When it comes to shading I am completely old fashioned. I typically use a gray scale for shadows, and white for highlighting, which can both be tinted a particular colour depending on the job at hand.


Photo courtesy Diane Wright

MJ Lindo's technique takes a completely different approach however, and this left an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. She uses a combination of pure and mixed colours for both highlights and shadows. Some colours are fleshed toned, while others aren't. One would not expect yellows, blues and purples to be used in a portrait. The result is very ethereal, capturing the essence of sensitivity. This technique is extremely difficult. One needs to completely understand the color wheel, to effectively communicate the emotions behind the portrait. The colours need to be in sync with each other, as well as be balanced throughout the piece. Repetition of color is important. If you look closely, the turquoise blue used under the neck and shoulder is repeated within the iris of the eye. This ensures a unified look.


Photo courtesy MJ Lindo

Using colour in a portrait is already an accomplishment for me but her unconventional use of colour is completely outside of my comfort zone. My admiration for MJ is growing as I continue to work on my portrait, which will be soon revealed.

-S.R

1 comment: