Friday 21 November 2014

Journey

My character design for the story, Colours on the Wall, is that of Chanel. Chanel is 21 years of age and a close friend of Arona. Though they are distant friends, Arona holds a special place in Chanel's heart. Chanel decides to board a plane in hopes of arriving at Arona's in time to reveal her surprise.

In my design, I tried to incorporate a very warm and inviting feel for Chanel. Nuri is a sweet young girl, facing her own struggles and I wanted Chanel to portray the role of a kindhearted big sister. She is someone who Nuri can rely on and seek for advice. I personally believe that Chanel's eyes really capture her overall positive spirit. Anietha is amazingly talented at portraying emotions in her character illustrations so I aimed to channel that as well. I put a lot of focus into her eyes because it was difficult to get the look of them right. I did two versions, just as Anietha produces, one in black and white and the other in colour. Below are the illustrations as well as the original short story that introduces Chanel into the plot of Colours in the Walls.

-S.R






Journey


The plane was about to land; Chanel quickly grabbed the side of her seat and braced herself before the wheels hit the ground. She then blew a sigh of relief as the plane finally came to a stop. She thought to herself that no matter how many times she travels, she could never get use to this, but at the same time she had to endure it because there’s no way she would miss this very special day.

To read more of the short story, head over to ABCStorytelling.

Illustration by: Shanice Vitalis

Story by: Anietha Charles

1 comment:

  1. Shan I think you did a great job portraying your character with emotion. I too get a very warm feeling just looking at her and I also think you did a good job with portraying warm colours as well as a nice background.

    ReplyDelete