Sunday 28 September 2014

Meet A Local: GAKS


Lets talk about Gerrel Saunders aka Gaks. Gaks has to be, in my opinion, the most talented illustrator in Trinidad. His attention to detail and vector skills are jaw dropping. I believe it was his meticulous hair study that initially attracted my attention. It is only fitting that I begin my illustration journey with Gaks, as his work birthed my initial interest.

The main skill that I admire from him and would like to learn is his highly detailed hair illustrations. I must admit to being very lazy with the pen tool when it comes to hair. It gets pretty monotonous very quickly. I honestly cannot see myself illustrating hair alone but I do think this skill looks damn right amazing both in his portraits and standing alone.

All images belong to Gerrel Saunders






Now lets redirect the focus back to complete portraits. On Gaks' instagram I have found some of his work that I will use as a step by step guide to create a complete portrait of myself, in his style. Hopefully I do it justice, fingers crossed!

-S.R








3 comments:

  1. This is the sort of supplementary use of other social media services that I've been talking about. Great to see you profiling another artist, attributing his work clearly, and linking to his page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a graphic designer myself I feel there is a lot I can learn from reading your blog! It's really cool that you're featuring different artists in your posts. Finding your style can be tricky but this is a great fun way to go about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad to see a fellow graphic artist interested in my blog, it must mean I'm going in the right direction.

      Delete